35 - UCIC Tranby Hall
OPENING TIMES: Saturday 11th November 11am-3pm
Sunday 12th November 11am-3pm
ADDRESS: 97 William St, Perth
The Queen's Hall (located next to the Wesley Church) was
opened on 19 April 1899 with seating for 1,500 people. The opening was quite an
occasion — a cricket match between Perth and Fremantle corporations was
postponed because it would have clashed with it.
Prince George, the son of the Prince of Wales, and his wife Mary visited
Perth in 1901.
The Queen’s Hall was leased to Vic’s Pictures in 1912 to help
financially with the costs of the buildings. It was later leased as a long-term tenancy in
1927 to Hoyts Proprietary Ltd and altered into an up-to-date picture theatre.
The ‘new’ Queen’s Buildings opened in 1927 upon completion of an
M. G. M. Films took over Vic’s Pictures and upgraded the cinema and
changed its name to the Metro c. 1937
Now, what remains of the Queen's Hall is used by the Uniting Church in the City which was formed in 2003.
Self-guided (No Booking Required)